ACS National Activities
During my time as an Alternate Councilor in the Division of Petroleum Chemistry, I was recommended to participate in ACS Governance and have served on three committees with increasing responsibility in each and am currently serving as Vice-Chair of the Council Policy Committee.
The Council Policy Committee (CPC) serves as the Executive Committee of the Council (the governing body of the ACS) by planning the general agenda for each Council meeting, planning the detailed agenda required to facilitate effective action by the Council, acting as interim for the Council as authorized by the Council or the Bylaws, nominating voting Councilors for membership on the Committee on Nominations and Elections, conducting long-range planning studies concerning the future of the Society, investigating allegations of improper election procedures in District or national elections and determining if violations have occurred, and serving as an appeals board for any member or candidate dissatisfied with an admission-related action of the Committee on Membership Affairs.
- Conduct Webinar and Orientation for ~40 new Councilors and Alternate Councilors/year
- Mentor new Councilors and Alternate Councilors on individual basis
- Review models to determine how ACS could restructure Council to represent ACS members more effectively and efficiently
- Provide forum for input to issues of strategic importance for ACS from Councilors
- Created first everonboarding document for CPC members
The Women Chemists Committee (WCC) serves as a forum for women in chemistry and related professions. The WCC has a mandate to develop recommendations regarding issues of interest to women chemists, provide a means of increasing and improving participation of women in the chemical sciences and the Society, and promote the recognition of women chemists.
- Co-organized and presided over Recognizing and Preventing a Hostile Work Environment symposium and expert panel which served to raise the awareness of the issue of harassment.
- As webmaster, updated format and content of WCC website to inform and attract women chemists in our activities and initiatives.
- Wrote and published content to highlight people and events for the newsletter and social media.
The Committee on Nomenclature, Terminology, and Symbols examines problems and monitors developments in nomenclature, terminology and symbols, coordinates the activities of divisional and other committees dealing with such matters within the Society, advises and consults with editors of Society publications in matters related to nomenclature, terminology and symbols, acts for the Council in the consideration and action on such documents and proposals presented to the Society, and acts for the Council in providing liaison in matters of these issues with non-Society organizations.