ACS Divisional Activities
Attendance at my first ACS national meeting resulted in my joining and becoming active in the Division of Petroleum Chemistry as the Area II (Texas/Oklahoma) Representative, and over the past 25+ years, I have held nearly every office in the division up to and including Chair. I am currently a Councilor for the Division of Energy & Fuels (ENFL), which was created as a result of a merger between the Divisions of Petroleum (PETR) and Fuel Chemistry. As I became more involved in the division, I developed an interest in the organizational and strategic planning aspects of the society and this focus lead to a number of growth opportunities:
- Spearheaded and facilitated the strategic planning process for the Division of Petroleum Chemistry for first time in 20 years.
- Brought together representatives from the Divisions of Petroleum and Fuel Chemistry to form a Merger Committee whose work ultimately resulted in the merger of the two divisions and creation of the new Energy & Fuels Division (ENFL).
- Organized the first strategic planning process for ENFL as well as the second after completion of initial strategic initiatives.
I was instrumental in the effort to develop multidisciplinary programming, first with the Biotechnology Secretariat (BTEC) which promoted interdisciplinary, divisional activities in areas of broad and current interest to ACS membership in the area of biotechnology, and now with the Multidisciplinary Program Planning Group (MPPG), which identifies and selects national meeting themes to promote collaborative, multidisciplinary, Society-wide programming for ACS National Meetings. These experiences provided invaluable leadership skills that translated to my professional and volunteer advancement.
- Created a roadmap for the promotion of thematic programming of the MPPG which is now standard operating procedure for each national meeting.
- As MPPG Chair, gained approval for themes for the upcoming three years and identified and recruited thematic organizers for both 2017 and the 2020 fall national meetings.
- Organized four technical symposia in the use of biotechnology in the production of fuels and chemicals.
- Promoted Divisional activities as PETR first Newsletter Editor of the then-printed publication of The Crude and the Refined and now though a digital newsletter and social media as ENFL Communications & Technology Committee Chair.
ACS Symposium Organizer/Presiding Chair:
- PETR: Microbial Degradations and Modifications of Hydrocarbons, August 1994
- PETR: Bioprocessing in Refining, August 1996
- ENFL/PROF/BMGT: Biomass to Fuels and Chemicals: Research, Innovation and Commercialization, August 2017
- ENVR/ENFL: Nexus of Food, Energy and Water: Adapting to Future Challenges, March 2018
ACS Regional Activities
I was heavily involved in the organization of the ACS Southwest Regional Meeting (SWRM) in 2016 as a member of the planning committee. As the Fundraising Chair, I raised $30,000 for the 2016 meeting for awards, travel grants and general symposium support. I was also honored to co-organize and preside over a special symposium for one of my ACS mentors, Joe Hightower: The Humanitarian, Engineer and Friend.